Wednesday, November 6, 2013

2.3 Just Keep Swimming

Maya barely had a chance to adjust to the news of being pregnant before even more news hit her--it was time to go. Her mermaid family was preparing to migrate. She'd known the time was coming, only it seemed like it had come much quicker than she anticipated.

"It won't be long now. We've already got our next destination lined up."



"You may want to tie up your loose ends now... and tell your human goodbye."

Maya looked stricken. "Uh, yeah..."

"We'll let you know when we're leaving. I expect you'll be ready?"

"Yes... I'll be ready..."

Maya had wanted to tell Alex the truth, but it was just too much all at once. Instead, she opted to just tell him about the baby. He was surprised, but happy. Maya couldn't lie, she felt the same. Despite it being against what she was, Maya was happy with Alex. A part of her didn't want to leave. Perhaps she could be happy staying in one place.

Alex took some time off of work to spend time with Maya during the early parts of her pregnancy. Neither one of them really knew what to expect. She was a mermaid, after all. Still, it seemed as if things would progress as normally as if she were a human.

It was nice to take a break and enjoy the beautiful beaches of Isla Paradiso, though.

Alex even introduced her to his family. His mother, Jamie Voss, seemed quite taken with her... which was a huge relief. Of course, it probably had more to do with the fact that she was carrying her grandchild. Jamie was such a sucker for babies!

It shouldn't have been a surprise when Alex popped the question. Obviously, he'd introduced her to his family with an ulterior motive. Still, Maya couldn't help but be stunned. A part of her recoiled from the idea, fearful of being tied down and unable to move or breathe. A bigger part of her, however, accepted with a gladdened heart.

She really did love him, even if he was just a human.

They were married on a beautiful, sunny day late into Maya's pregnancy. She was set to pop at any moment, so the wedding was both a happy and anxious occasion.

Salty, unfortunately, dropped in uninvited. He seemed amused by the proceedings and wasted no time needling her afterwards during the reception.

"This isn't quite what I meant when I said prepare, Maya."

"I'm not sure if I'm going. I'm pregnant."

Salty shook his head. "Leave the child here. You can't deny what you are. Even if you stay here, you'll only leave later or risk losing your magic entirely."

"It isn't that simple, Salty! You just don't understand..."

He rolled his eyes, unconvinced. "We warned you about becoming too attached to your human, Maya. This isn't our way. You're married to him under their law, but not ours."

"What if the baby is a mermaid?"

"Then we'll come back for it. But you know they don't come into their magic until later in life. You can't bring it along."

Alex saw the stranger talking to Maya and the look on Maya's face. Still, he didn't dare butt in. He wasn't an idiot. This was clearly a matter that went beyond him. There were other mermaids out there, this much he knew. Whatever they were discussing, though, it didn't look good. Maya stormed off and went to the bathroom. Alex followed her.

Inside the bathroom, Maya was looking at her reflection in the mirror. Upon seeing Alex, she spun around and tried to put on a happy face.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes... well, no," Maya admitted finally, "I... it's... remember what I told you about mermaids, Alex? How we migrate? Our time is coming up... I may have to leave."

Alex looked saddened, but he wasn't angry. "Don't worry about it now, okay? It'll be all right. Whatever happens."

Maya went into labor some time later, caught by surprise. She couldn't go to the hospital. She didn't want the doctors poking and prodding at her possibly hybrid child. Instead, she buckled down and endured the pain, giving birth in the bathroom tub. It wasn't exactly a luxurious way to give birth, but it was the only option available to her at the moment.

Alex was out on an assignment. He was likely several leagues under the sea when their child came into the world.

Phoenix was a beautiful baby. Maya stood there awhile, just gazing at him. He didn't cry or scream loudly. He just watched her watching him. It was unclear if he had any of her magic or not. It wouldn't present itself for a few years yet. Maya wished that he was normal, so he could live the life she could not. It broke her heart to realize that she would be leaving him and Alex behind.

She could hear the calling in the back of her mind--the pull to move on with her family. They were waiting for her.

She gave Phoenix a quick kiss on the head and tucked him snugly into his crib. She sent a quick text message to Alex's phone and then to his mother. Someone would be there shortly to watch him. Maya lingered a moment or two, taking one last look at her little baby.

Salty was there waiting when she left the bedroom. He was expectant, giving her a dubious look as she approached him.

"I'm ready. Let's go."

"We can't deny what we are, Maya. Your child will be fine."

"I want to come back. I want to see him when he's grown."

"He may be one of us and if he is, we must know. But it will be some time before that happens."

Leaving a note for Alex where he would see it, Maya left the houseboat for the last time and jumped into the ocean. She swam past it, thankful that Phoenix hadn't begun to cry in her absence. It would have broke her heart even more.

It would be a very long time before Maya saw Isla Paradiso and its beautiful waters again.

Alex arrived home in a hurry, his mother waiting for him with a saddened face in the living room. She'd beat him there, their house only a few minutes up the road. Phoenix laid fast asleep in his crib. Jamie handed Maya's note to her son and gave him a hug. She would be back in the morning to check on them.

Alex,
I'm sorry. I thought that I could change, that I would be okay living a normal life... and maybe I would, maybe I could... but I have a responsibility to my people, to my family. I'm sorry that I'm leaving you behind and I'm even more sorry that Phoenix will grow up without me.
Oceans willing, I'll be back. It may not be soon, but I will return. I hope against hope that Phoenix is normal and happy.
Love,Maya
----------------------------------
Darn it! I wanted a girl. I even made Maya eat a billion watermelons. Sigh. I was at least hoping the child would get her beautiful hair, but no... Rubisel's hair genes are STRONG. Phoenix is already a toddler in my game and he seems to have his mother's eyes/face and his grandfather Rubisel's dark hair (which Alex and all his siblings also have.) 
Breaking this family up made me so sad! :( Also, I rolled Phoenix's requirements and I won't list them all, but I will say, I got 'Random Traits.' ARGH! He ended up Eccentric and a Heavy Sleeper. I am not enthused about this. At least I only have to do it for HIM and not any children he has...

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving this and I am caught up! And now I'm sad. :( Did Alex and Maya split up in game or did she just move out? I loved them as a couple.

    I wonder if Phoenix is a merbaby! I haven't played with mermaids, though I'm messing around in the EA hoods at the moment, so maybe I will eventually. But anyway, that'll certainly be something extra for poor Alex to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carla, thanks! I'm having a lot of fun with it. :) I just moved her out, they're technically still married.

      I've done very little with mermaids, so it should be interesting. Isla Paradiso is my favorite EA world for sure. I love it!

      Delete